One more time about Mongo 5 CPU requirements

Hello,
Let me start with saying that we are using Mongo and have been doing it for more then sever year, and it is an excellent product.

Since the CPU requirements changed in 5.5, my managers tasked me with finding the answers to these questions:

1. Why the dependency on AVX was introduced in Mongo v5? My guess was that it is because of the new time series feature support but management would like to know “for sure” and not “my guesses”.
  2. Is the decision for CPU with AVX requirements a final decision for the foreseeable future, v5 and beyond? In other words, it this correct, there are not plans to support CPUs without the AVX even if some features will not be available(if feasible)?
  3. Are you planning on any work-arounds for the customers that would like to upgrade, but do not have proper HW?

If anyone could shed any light on this, that would be awesome
Thank you
Vera Dobryanskaya

1 Like

Hello Vera_Dobryanskaya,

Welcome to our forms!

1. It was not added for a particular feature, it is just for performance in general. Additionally, the change helps have more predictable builds as x86_64 was the only architecture without a defined minimal requirement.
  2. No plans to support older CPUs.
  3. Unfortunately no. You could technical build from source and add CCFLAGS=-march=native to support your machine, but that’s a bit too much I think. MongoDB Atlas is a good alternative though. :wink: A lot less troubles and optimal performances.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.